Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with lemon, parmesan, and garlic are the perfect savory side dish for all of your holiday and weeknight meals. They are simple to make and so flavorful!
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts are a completely underrated holiday side dish. A lot of people think of mushy, over-cooked veggies when they think of Brussels sprouts, but I promise when they’re done right, they are SO GOOD!
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts come out with amazing flavor and a slightly crispy crunch on the leaves. Lemon, garlic, and parmesan make these the perfect savory side. You’ll find yourself making them again and again and again!
Perfect Holiday Side Dish
This is a really great holiday side dish not only because it tastes amazing but because it doesn’t take up oven space! Sautéing the Brussels sprouts gets them nice and crispy, too. And another bonus? This easy Brussels Sprouts recipe only takes about 15 minutes to make!
How to Trim & Cut Brussels Sprouts
- Start by slicing off the very bottom of the sprout, the stem. Discard the stems.
- Pull off any leaves that look wilted or discolored. Toss those, too!
- Use a sharp knife to cut each sprout in half vertically.
- You can leave them in halves or if the Brussels sprouts are extra large in size, you can cut them into quarters. Just make sure they are all the same size so they cook evenly.
How to Make Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Make sure you use a large skillet so the sprouts aren’t over crowded. They need room to get crispy. I like my cast iron pan because it helps to get the sprouts nice, crispy, and a little charred…my favorite!
- Add the sprouts to the hot oil and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them and keep giving them an occasional stir! Leaving them alone too long could result in burning…no thank you!
- Wait for the Brussels sprouts to get golden brown and tender. I like them just a little charred and crispy on the edges!
- Now, add in the garlic. Adding the garlic at the end keeps it from burning.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and the fresh lemon juice.
- Move to a serving dish or platter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (fresh is best!) and nuts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve warm, and most of all…enjoy!
Toppings for Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Toppings are all optional, of course, but they sure are yummy! I usually go with lemon, parmesan cheese, and pecans for this recipe, but feel free to mix it up! Here are some ideas.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped hazelnuts, pecans, candied pecans, or walnuts
- Pine nuts
- Dried cranberries, if you want a little sweetness
- Crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
How to Store
Store cooled Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up 3 days.
Reheat in a hot skillet, air fryer, or in the oven so they can get nice and crispy. You can heat them up in the microwave, but they will get a little mushy.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes:
- Brussels Sprouts Casserole
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Roasted Pear and Cranberry Brussels Sprouts
More Vegetable Side Dishes
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Green Beans
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Carrots
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Parmesan
- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed, and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or hazelnuts
- In a large skillet (I prefer cast iron), heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and sauté for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are mostly dark golden brown and tender. I like the sprouts to get charred and crispy.
- Once caramelized, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Place the Brussels sprouts on a platter or in a serving bowl and garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped nuts. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod