Smoked Paprika Roasted Sweet Potatoes-a healthy side dish that goes great with any meal. You will love the sweet and smoky flavor of these simple roasted sweet potatoes!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
I eat sweet potatoes in some form almost every single day. I am obsessed. They are just so good! I like them mashed, stuffed, in salads, in enchiladas, cut up into fries, and roasted. You really can’t go wrong.
Roasted is probably my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes because they are so easy to make and go great with any and every meal. Lately, I have been making Smoked Paprika Roasted Sweet Potatoes and they are crazy good, so good I sometimes eat the entire pan for lunch. I am a little worried I might turn orange..ha!
What is the difference between a Sweet Potato and a Yam?
I think most of us are a little confused about the difference between a sweet potato and a yam. Most grocery stores carry two different types of sweet potatoes and call one sweet potatoes and one yams…even though they are both sweet potatoes.
So let’s do a little sweet potato 101 before we get to the recipe.
A sweet potato is a root vegetable that is part of the morning glory family and they are grown in the United States. Sweet potatoes are tapered vegetables that have smooth skin. Sweet potato flesh can vary from white to orange and even purple. Sweet potatoes are moist and sweet and have more fiber, protein, and Vitamin A than yams.
Yams are a type of lily and are cylindrical in shape. They typically have white flesh and a rough, dark skin. They are grown in Africa. Yams are starchy and dry.
You want to use sweet potatoes for this recipe, which should be easy since most grocery stories carry sweet potatoes!
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
Now that we have our sweet potatoes figured out, let’s get roasting!
- First of all, do you have to peel your sweet potatoes for roasting? The answer is no. You don’t have to, that is personal preference. If I am roasting sweet potatoes just for me, I always leave the skins on. I just wash them really well. If I am serving them to company, I usually peel them because some people don’t like the skin. I think they are good both ways.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Make sure you cut the sweet potatoes the same size so they will cook evenly.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in olive oil so they will crisp up nicely in the oven.
- Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven at 425 degrees F. You want to use high heat so they will get nice and crispy.
- I like to season the sweet potatoes with smoked paprika before they go into the oven. I am currently obsessed with smoked paprika, it is one of my favorite spices! The smoked paprika gives the sweet potatoes a ton of flavor. The sweet and smoky combo is amazing!
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are spread out evenly on the pan. You don’t want to overcrowd them or they will get mushy instead of crisp in the oven. You want crispy roasted sweet potatoes, trust me.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring once. You want the sweet potatoes to be tender and slightly crisp around the edges.
You are going to love these healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes! They are so easy to make and are the perfect side dish to any meal…and sometimes they are my meal because I can’t stop eating them! They are SO good!
If you like this roasted sweet potato recipe, you might also like:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowls
Smoked Paprika Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place sweet potatoes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until sweet potatoes are well coated with the oil. Sprinkle smoked paprika evenly over the sweet potatoes and toss again. Season with salt.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing once, or until sweet potatoes are tender and slightly browned. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
I could eat sweet potatoes every day, too. And yes, even as a food blogger the whole sweet potato/yam thing still confuses me. Lol. So glad to read your notes above. Love the smoky kick these babies have!
They are SO good!
So easy and flavorful!
Smoked paprika always has that awesome flavor!
PERFECT roasted potatoes! My favorite!
That smoky and sweet flavor combo sounds epic!!
I could eat these every day! Love roasted sweet potatoes and the sweet and smoky flavors in these sound delicious!
The paprika was great with the potatoes and made them feel much more special than normal. Thanks!
I love potatoes and we have many ways to cook it, you re potatoes recipes is great, m going to tried
Wow, simple dish , big flavors. My wife is begging for more
Mmm! Tasty & nutritious, thank you for yet another simple yet great recipe!
I am SO excited to try this recipe! How do you recommend storing and reheating if needed?
Store in the fridge in an airtight container. You can reheat in the oven, air fryer, or in a skillet. You can use the microwave but the potatoes might get a little soggy.