These Steak Kabobs are marinated in a delicious steak marinade and stacked on a skewer with mushrooms, bell pepper, and red onion and grilled to perfection!
Summertime means it’s kabob time and these grilled Steak Kabobs are perfection. The steak gets a tender, delicious flavor from a simple steak marinade and it’s layered with the perfect combination of veggies.
Steak Kabobs are perfect for grilling in the backyard with friends or a weeknight dinner that kids love! Our boys love calling them Shish Kabobs, with a lot of emphasis on the SHISH, ha! Plus, they love eating anything on a stick. It is more fun:)
What Steak Should I Use for Kabobs?
Top sirloin is great for kabobs. It is lean and doesn’t have a lot of excess fat, making it easy to cut into cubes for the skewers. It is also budget friendly and easy find at ay grocery store.
If you’re unsure of what kind of meat to buy, ask the butcher at the meat counter for some help. I’ve found they’re always so helpful and happy to help me pick the best cut of meat for what I’m making.
Marinating the meat tenderizes the meat and adds lots of flavor, ensuring that the steak is juicy and delicious!
This steak marinade is a simple and will give you flavorful, juicy steak on a skewer! Everyone in your family will love this steak. In a medium bowl, whisk:
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red wine vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh lemon juice
- Minced garlic
- Brown sugar
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
Add the steak into the bowl (or you can pour it into a Ziploc to make storing easier!) and make sure all the meat is covered. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. You can actually marinate the steak for up to 8 hours, though! It’s perfect for making the night before or in the morning.
I like to use metal skewers for kabobs because they are reusable and we use them all of the time during the summertime.
You can use bamboo skewers, but you have to soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before loading them up with steak and veggies. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the grill.
How to Make Steak Kabobs
Now for the fun part! These kabobs grill quickly and you’ll have a delicious dinner on the table in no time.
- Thread the marinated steak onto skewers, alternating between the meat, bell peppers, mushrooms, and onion. Leave just a bit of space between the pieces so they can cook evenly on the grill.
- Feel free to mix up the veggies. Zucchini, yellow squash, green peppers, or cherry tomatoes would be good too!
- Brush a little remaining marinade onto the meat and veggies for extra flavor and then discard any remaining marinade.
- Preheat a clean grill to high heat.
- Grill the kabobs for 8-10 minutes, giving them a little turn every couple minutes. Don’t overcook, you want the steak to be nice and juicy!
- Once they’re just right use tongs to pull them off the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
No Grill? No Problem!
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can use a grill pan and cook the kabobs on the stove top.
You can also make the beef kabobs in the oven. Cook the kabobs in an oven heated to 375 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. Like on the grill, you’ll want to turn them occasionally. The steak needs to reach an internal temperature of 145 Fahrenheit to be safe for eating!
What to Serve with Steak Kabobs
Make an easy summer salad to go along with your Steak Kabobs and you’ve got a delicious weeknight dinner!
More Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Guacamole Bacon Burgers
- Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Chili Lime Grilled Chicken
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the kabobs:
- 1 ½ pounds top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 metal skewers (see note)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place the steak in the bowl with the marinade or place both in a large Ziploc bag, making sure the meat is covered in the marinade. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour so the meat can tenderize, can marinate for up to 8 hours.
- Carefully thread the marinated meat along with the veggies, alternating them on the skewer. Keep a little space between the pieces so they will cook evenly on the grill. Brush the meat and veggies with some of the remaining marinade. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Grill the kabobs on high heat, for 8 to 10 minutes (depending on how you like your meat), turning the kabobs every couple of minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the kabobs from the grill and let the meat rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.