These hearty and healthy Sweet Potato Tacos with Brussels Sprouts Slaw are perfect for fall, and they’re a filling and delicious vegetarian meal, too!
Sweet Potato Tacos
Now that fall is here, Sweet Potato Tacos with Brussels Sprouts Slaw are a go-to recipe around our house. They’re surprisingly easy to throw together, but the flavors feel unexpected!
These sweet potato and black bean tacos make an awesome meal for Taco Tuesday or for when you have guests over. Everyone can dress their tacos with their favorite taco toppings. I always suggest the Brussels sprout slaw because it takes these sweet potato tacos from good to AMAZING. It’s also a really delicious way to get more vegetables onto your table.
Since tacos have so many possibilities for toppings, they’re a great option for a meatless dish! Whether you’re feeding a vegetarian, you want to eat less meat, or you just want more veggies in your diet, I love doing a veggie taco. You won’t even miss the meat in these Sweet Potato Tacos with Brussels Sprouts Slaw!
The tacos still have plenty of protein because they also have black beans. Sweet potatoes and black beans are a REALLY tasty combination! If you want to mix things up, you can use pinto beans or refried beans.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Tossing the sweet potatoes in a drizzle of oil and a delicious blend of spices makes for the perfect taco filling. I roast them for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees for the ultimate flavor! My ideal blend of spices includes:
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
Brussels Sprout Slaw
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prep the Brussels Sprouts Slaw for the most unexpected and tasty taco topping! This slaw is easy to make and really kicks the tacos up a notch:
- The slaw is simple! You’ll just need to combine shredded Brussels sprouts, shredded cabbage, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Make sure both the cabbage and Brussels sprouts are finely chopped! You can use a sharp knife, food processor, or mandoline to shred the sprouts and cabbage.
- Don’t make the slaw too far in advance or it will turn a little pink because of the red cabbage and lime juice. If you don’t mind a slightly pink slaw, then you can make it a few hours in advance. I usually make the slaw while the sweet potatoes are roasting.
Toppings for Sweet Potato Tacos
Feel free to add any of your favorite taco toppings with the Brussels sprout slaw! For these sweet potato tacos, my favorite things to add are:
- A drizzle of my Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Queso Fresco
- Pepitas for a slight crunch!
More Taco Recipes:
If you do Taco Tuesday every week, you may be looking for even more fun taco recipes! Here are some of our favorites:
- Honey Lime Salmon Tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Easy Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Halloumi Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Grilled Zucchini Chickpea Tacos
- Three Bean Tacos
Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw
For the sweet potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the slaw:
- 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 green onion, sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
For the tacos:
- Corn tortillas
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, seed removed and sliced
- Creamy cilantro lime dressing
- Crumbled Queso fresco
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Place the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Sprinkle the seasonings over the sweet potatoes and toss until potatoes are well coated. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once, or until potatoes are tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the slaw. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded Brussels sprouts, shredded cabbage, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss well.
- To assemble the tacos, top corn tortillas with the roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, slaw, avocado, a drizzle of creamy cilantro lime dressing, a sprinkle of queso fresco, and pepitas. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Honestly, I love tacos and i am amazed with the mixture of ingredients and products used while making new tacos.
I made these for dinner tonight. We are gluten and dairy free, so I used coconut milk yogurt and almond flour tortillas. It was delicious! I missed having the queso fresco though
Glad you liked the tacos!