Grilled Zucchini Chickpea Tacos-these easy vegetarian and gluten-free tacos can be on the dinner table in under 30 minutes and make a great summer meal.
We eat tacos for dinner almost every week. We switch things up so we don’t get bored. We make Grilled Steak Tacos, Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos, Honey Lime Salmon Tacos, and Three Bean Tacos. I am currently loving Grilled Zucchini Chickpea Tacos. This recipe for tacos is my new favorite! I could eat these vegetarian tacos every single night of my life.
These tacos are the perfect summer meal because they are made on the grill and so easy to make. You don’t have to heat up the house and the tacos come together in no time. Plus, this taco recipe will help you use up some of your garden zucchini. I know you are all looking for zucchini recipes right now. Well, add these easy tacos to your MUST make list because they are healthy and SO delicious.
And you want to know another reason I love these tacos? Our boys ate them! I was a little worried, but they love our Grilled Zucchini Nachos so I was hopeful. I just told them we were having tacos for dinner and when they sat down to eat, they didn’t say anything, took a bite, and NO complaints. It was a BIG dinner win!
To make the tacos, mix together a simple spice mixture to coat the zucchini and chickpeas. Don’t worry, I bet you have all of the spices in your pantry already. I use:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
Super simple! Once the zucchini and chickpeas are spiced, put them on a large grill pan and grill until they are nice and crispy. The grill adds tremendous flavor!
Now, it is taco time. Take a corn tortilla and add the grilled zucchini, chickpeas, and all of your favorite toppings. I like to add red cabbage, avocado, green onions, cilantro, and a little crumbled queso fresco. Drizzle with tomatillo salsa and you are good to go!
Grilled Zucchini Chickpea Tacos are the tastiest tacos! Make them for dinner tonight! And if you are looking for more zucchini recipes, check out our favorites here. There are over 50 fantastic zucchini recipes to choose from!
If you like this taco recipe, you might also like:
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Pineapple Tacos
- Roasted Mushroom, Kale, and Goat Cheese Tacos
- Grilled Avocado and Vegetable Tacos
Grilled Zucchini Chickpea Tacos
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Corn tortillas
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 large avocado seed removed and chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Tomatillo salsa if desired
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Stir until combined.
- Place the zucchini strips in a medium bowl. Place the rinsed and drained chickpeas in a medium bowl. Drizzle a little olive oil over the zucchini and a little over the chickpeas. Toss. Pour half of the seasoning mixture over the zucchini strips and half over the chickpeas. Stir until zucchini and chickpeas are well coated. Place seasoned zucchini and chickpeas on a large grill pan.
- Place the grill pan on the hot grill and grill until zucchini is cooked and chickpeas are slightly crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Heat or char the corn tortillas on the grill or over a gas flame. Place zucchini and chickpeas in the center of the taco. Add red cabbage, avocado, cilantro, queso fresco, and tomatillo salsa, if desired. Serve warm.
- Note-if you need the tacos to be vegan, leave off the queso fresco. They are still super delicious!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
I love the idea of grilling chickpeas!! Will definitely have to give this a try! Such a great meatless Summer meal!
These look so tasty and yayyyy for charred tacos, makes all the difference 😉
these are an absolute dream maria! I am totally making these for Pia!
These look amazing! I wish I was eating these for dinner tonight!
*Hands clapping emoji* Zucchini AND chickpeas? You’re doing something right 🙂
I would inhale these! Love!!
Come over for dinner:)
These look great and I always have cooked chic peas in my refrigerator and there’s plenty of zucchini year round in Baja, Mexico. Thanks for the inspiration, pinning!
Chickpeas on the grill? That is pure genius! So gonna try!
This looks amazing! I have to try this out <3
The grilled chickpeas look so delicious! I’m gonna make this with some black sesame for extra fragrance <3
Glad you liked the tacos!
May try this in the oven since I don’t have a grill
Talk about EASY to make (after 10 hours of work and then a bike ride) and delicious. 🙂 Will be making again, thanks!
Made these last night and they were so good! A squirt of lime is a must. I used something like a George Foreman grill inside and it worked just fine. Hot tip: when assembling the taco, put the chickpeas on the bottom and “glue” them down to the tortilla with salsa or sour cream so they don’t roll around all over the place!
Here’s a pic to share: https://imgur.com/a/yYWYGjj
Best tacos ever!!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Perfect spice blend, and LOVE LOVE LOVE the chickpea/zucchini combo! Tastes great even if you saute instead of grill.
These are absolutely amazing! My meat-eating husband loved them too! Thank you for this recipe 🙂