Easy Tortellini Soup
This easy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is made in ONE pot and a family favorite meal! When the temperature drops outside, we like to make this cozy and comforting soup. Our boys love it and request it often when it’s chilly outside. It warms them up and it’s loaded with tons of good stuff: vegetables, beans, herbs, chicken, tortellini…there’s something for everyone!
To keep this soup SOUPer easy, my number one suggestion is to cheat and use a store bought rotisserie chicken. This takes cooking and shredding the chicken out of your prep time and it’s still delicious. If you happen to have leftover chicken or even turkey, this is a good soup to use it up!
I use a store-bought cheese tortellini. You can find tortellini at almost every grocery store. I like to use refrigerated cheese tortellini, but frozen works well too. If your store has spinach cheese tortellini or tri-color tortellini, those varieties work well too! For this tortellini soup recipe, you need 9 ounces.
How to Make Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Start with a large pot, olive oil, and medium-high heat. Add in onion, carrots, and celery first and let those cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic next!
- Now the liquid! Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes, and add your spices: thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add in shredded chicken, beans, and cheese tortellini. Put the heat on low and let everything summer for 10 minutes.
- Finish it off with parmesan cheese, kale, and basil, letting everything simmer for 5 more minutes. Note-I like to use Tuscan kale, but spinach works well too!
- Serve the tortellini soup immediately, garnished with Parmesan, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes for a little spice.
What to Serve with Tortellini Soup
The number one thing my boys love to eat with this soup is BREAD! I love prepping a loaf of garlic bread or focaccia bread to serve warm with a bowl of soup. That makes for plenty of delicious bread dunking!
You can also serve a simple side salad to add in even more veggies into your meal. Soup, salad, bread…the perfect meal!
More Comforting Soup Recipes:
- Pasta Fagioli
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 42 oz chicken broth
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 15 ounces white beans, drained and rinsed
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini, refrigerated or frozen
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Garnish: Parmesan cheese, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, chicken, beans, and cheese tortellini. Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, kale, and basil. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, basil, and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Enjoy immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health