Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins-the perfect recipe for using up your brown bananas!
I usually eat a banana every day, but I haven’t been able to stomach them lately. I watched the bunch of bananas on our kitchen counter turn from yellow to brown. Josh asked if he could throw them away, but I told him I was going to bake something. He looked at me like I was crazy since I haven’t baked in over a month. This pregnancy has killed my baking mojo. I told him it was time to get back into the swing of things.
I’ve been surviving on mostly carbs so I immediately thought about baking a loaf of banana bread. I didn’t want to wait an hour for it to bake so I made Whole Wheat Banana Muffins instead.
I wasn’t sure how long I would last in the kitchen so I created a super easy banana muffin recipe. I didn’t even use my mixer!
I wanted the banana muffins to be on the healthier side, so I used white whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and Greek yogurt.
The recipe also has four mashed bananas. The bananas keep the muffins super moist and full of banana flavor! I added turbinado sugar on top of the muffins before baking them because I like the sugary crunch. It is always a nice touch!
I went back to bed while these muffins baked. I was worried the smell would bother me, but the smell creeped into my room and had me craving banana muffins like crazy! I am glad the muffins only took about 20 minutes to bake. I wanted one…NEEDED one ASAP!
The Whole Wheat Banana Muffins hit the spot! I loved every bite…and Caleb loved them too. They may not win any beauty awards, but boy are they tasty!
I put some in the freezer for later, but I am already getting into my stash. These healthy banana muffins are perfect for breakfast or snack time. I love them as a midnight snack. I’ve been waking up hungry in the middle of the night and these muffins have been a lifesaver! I am going to have to make another batch. I guess we better go buy some more bananas!
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins-perfect for breakfast or snack time! These healthy muffins freeze beautifully too!
Yield: 15 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 23 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large ripe bananas (about 1 3/4 cup mashed)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on muffins before baking, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Peel the bananas and mash with a fork. Place the mashed bananas in a large bowl. Add the brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin liners three-quarters full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store, covered, at room temperature.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!