Adding avocado into a classic tzatziki recipe gives it extra creaminess, extra color, and extra flavor! This is a versatile Greek dip that everyone will love.
Does anyone else get a little bit overwhelmed by the dips and spreads at Trader Joe’s? There are so many and every one looks better than the last! I’m a huge fan of tzatziki so when I saw avocado tzatziki at Trader Joe’s I knew I had to try it. It’s awesome so awesome that I decided to make it at home! It turned out to be super easy and just as delicious as the version you can buy in the store.
What is Tzatziki?
Tzatziki is a creamy yogurt sauce made with cucumbers, fresh dill, lemon, and garlic that’s most often served with Greek food. It’s got a really fresh and bright flavor that works as a dip, spread, or dressing. You get a great tang from the plain Greek yogurt and the cucumber, fresh dill, and lemon making it extra refreshing.
Adding avocado to tzatziki gives it an extra thickness and creaminess that just takes it to the next level! It gives the sauce a great flavor that I know you’ll love. Avocado really makes everything better:) Adding citrus (in this recipe I use lemon juice) prevents the avocado from browning.
Tips for Making Avocado Tzatziki
- Always use plain Greek yogurt to make Tzatziki. It is thicker than regular yogurt, which is really important with Tzatziki. You can use fat free, 2% or whole Greek yogurt. The whole yogurt will obviously result in a richer and creamier tzatziki.
- Use seedless cucumbers and peel them before chopping. The cucumbers make this so good!
- Fresh lemon juice will brighten up the flavor and preserve the avocado in this tzatziki sauce, while fresh minced garlic adds tons of flavor.
- You can find fresh dill in the produce section of almost any grocery store and it will give you the very best Tzatziki. If you are in a pinch, you can use dried, but fresh is best!
How to Store Avocado Tzatziki
This tzatziki is best the day it’s made, but can be stored up to two days! Cover it tightly with plastic wrap so no air is touching the tzatziki, then you can store it in the refrigerator.
How to Use Avocado Tzatziki
Tzatziki is a staple in Greek food, and there are so many ways to use it! Once you have a batch in your refrigerator you’ll be shocked at how many things it tastes good with.
- Dip with pita chips (here are my Homemade Pita Chips)
- With falafel
- Dip with veggies
- With souvlaki
- Served with grilled veggies
- On Gyros
- With chicken or fish
- On Chopped Greek Salad
More Greek Recipes:
If you love the flavors in this Avocado Tzatziki and want to incorporate more Greek food into your meal plans, try some of my favorites below!
- Greek Tortellini Salad
- Classic Tzatziki Sauce
- Greek Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Chopped Greek Salad
- Greek Panzanella Salad
- Greek Cucumber Noodles
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and minced (optional)
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and diced
- In a food processor, combine the Greek yogurt, avocado, garlic, lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper, and jalapeño (if using). Process until smooth, scraping down the sides and processing again, if necessary.
- Scrape into a medium bowl and stir in the diced cucumber. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. You might want a little more lemon, dill, or salt. Serve with cut up vegetables, pita chips, pita bread, or use as a salad dressing.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
This looks amazing! I totally need to try this asap!
Tzatziki is already so refreshing and avocado is too! Can’t wait to try! 🙂