Caprese Breakfast Casserole
Caprese Breakfast Casserole-this easy egg casserole with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil is made in one pan and perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Best Breakfast Casserole
I look forward to Christmas brunch all year long. It is one of my favorite meals of the year to enjoy with family and friends. We go all out and make all of our favorite breakfast foods. I always make sure we have a breakfast casserole on the menu because they are easy to make and a real crowd pleaser.
This Caprese Breakfast Casserole is going on our menu this year. It is the perfect breakfast casserole for the holidays because it is pretty to serve and so delicious! It is made with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and fresh basil, just like the traditional caprese salad, but in an egg casserole. Our family loves it and I think you will too!
How to Make Caprese Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast casseroles are perfect for entertaining because they feed a crowd and come together in no time. All of the ingredients go into one pan and the casserole gets baked in the oven. You can’t beat that!
- First, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil and set aside.
- For this breakfast casserole recipe, you will need 18 large eggs. Yes, 18! The recipe makes a 9×13-inch pan and you want a nice, thick egg casserole. Whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Stir in one cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, reserving 1/2 cup for the top of the casserole. Add the tomatoes, fresh basil, salt, and pepper.
- I like to use halved grape tomatoes for this recipe because they aren’t too juicy and hold up nicely.
- Make sure you use FRESH basil, not dried. Fresh basil has SO much flavor and will add a pretty green color to the casserole. Do not chop the basil finely, give it a rough chop so you still have decent size basil leaves to stir into the casserole.
- Pour in a greased 9×13-inch pan and sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45 to 60 minutes. You don’t need to cover the casserole. You will know when the breakfast casserole is done when the top is golden brown and the eggs are firm to the touch. The casserole shouldn’t be jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Store the cooked breakfast casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can you Make Breakfast Casserole in Advance?
Yes! You can prep all of the ingredients the day or night before and put them into the pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. Your guests will think you woke up super early to make them a fancy breakfast. They will never know you prepped it the day before and just had to put it in the oven. That will be our little secret:)
Can you Freeze Breakfast Casserole?
Yes! If you are going to freeze a whole breakfast casserole, bake it in a disposable baking pan so you don’t have to freeze your fancy casserole dish or pan you use all of the time. Make sure you cool the casserole completely and cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. You can reheat the full casserole in the oven.
You can also freeze individual servings of the baked breakfast casserole. Cut the breakfast casserole into squares and freeze in small freezer container or wrap each square in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. You can reheat individual servings in the microwave, making a great breakfast on the go!
What to Serve with Caprese Breakfast Casserole
This Caprese Breakfast Casserole can be breakfast on it’s own, but if you are entertaining and want to serve a full breakfast spread. These breakfast recipes go great with this easy breakfast casserole.
- Classic French Toast
- Belgian Waffles
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- Banana Pancakes
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
If you like this easy breakfast casserole, you might like:
- Bacon, Potato, and Egg Casserole
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Spinach Artichoke Egg Casserole
- Egg Vegetable Casserole
Caprese Breakfast Casserole
This easy breakfast casserole made with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil Is perfect for Christmas brunch or any morning.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 18 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup roughly chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Whisk in the milk.
Stir in 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper.
Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pan. Space out the tomatoes and basil, if necessary. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese over the top of the casserole.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the until the eggs are firm and the top is slightly golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into squares and serve warm. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.