Easy Banana Pancakes – make a big stack because these pancakes go quickly! And if you happen to have leftovers, put them in the freezer! They freeze beautifully!
Got Brown Bananas? Make Banana Pancakes!
Last week, I asked on Instagram what I should make with a bunch of brown bananas I had lying around. You guys gave me tons of great ideas! Thank you! There were so many good ideas, I couldn’t decide what to make. I have a hard time making decisions, so I asked Caleb for some help. First, he asked for Banana Muffins, but then he changed his mind to Banana Pancakes. I am so glad Caleb chose Banana Pancakes because they were a great weekend breakfast treat! We enjoyed a stack with butter, fresh banana slices, and maple syrup! Yum!
Josh and I are Jack Johnson fans and started singing his famous “Banana Pancakes” song. Caleb started laughing at us and wanted to hear the song. So, we turned on some music and danced while we made our banana pancakes. Caleb loved it! I think he has a new favorite song…and a new favorite pancake!
How to Make Banana Pancakes
These easy banana pancakes are quick to whip up! I like to use white whole wheat flour, but whole wheat or all-purpose flour works too! The pancakes are light, fluffy, and remind me of banana bread. The pancakes are made with buttermilk and mashed bananas, giving the pancakes great banana flavor. The pancakes will remind you of banana bread and that is a very good thing!
We also like to top the pancakes with banana slices and of course maple syrup. The banana pancakes are also good with peanut butter, spread peanut butter on top of the pancakes for a protein and you can’t go wrong with the banana and peanut butter combo!
If you have leftover pancakes, stick them in the freezer! They freeze beautifully and are a lifesaver for busy or lazy mornings! Just reheat them in the microwave or toaster! We always keep banana pancakes in the freezer for busy mornings. They are a breakfast lifesaver!
Kids Love Banana Pancakes
Banana pancakes were a hit at our breakfast table. Even Maxwell was excited about them. He kept kicking and squealing for a bite. He is still too little for pancakes, but I mashed up some banana for him and that kept him happy. Someday, he will get to taste the pancakes!
If you have a bunch of brown bananas lying around, make Banana Pancakes! They are pancake perfection and your bananas don’t go to waste!
If you like these easy Banana Pancakes, try:
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour can use whole wheat or all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas mashed (about 1 cup mashed banana)
- Sliced bananas butter, and maple syrup, for serving, if desired
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, melted butter, honey, vanilla, and mashed bananas.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Heat a griddle or pan to medium low heat. Coat with cooking spray. Drop about a 1/4 cup of batter onto heated skillet. Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully with a spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Continue making pancakes until the batter is gone.
- Serve pancakes with sliced bananas, butter, and maple syrup, if desired.
- Note-these pancakes freeze well! Reheat in the toaster or microwave!