Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal-this easy baked oatmeal recipe is healthy enough for breakfast and tasty enough for dessert! Drizzle with cream cheese maple glaze and you will think you are eating a piece of carrot cake. It’s SO good!
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
I love a good baked oatmeal, my blueberry maple and peanut butter banana baked oatmeal are two of my favorites. I always love creating new recipes and this Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal is AMAZING! If you like carrot cake, you are in for a real treat!
This Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal tastes JUST like carrot cake, and the maple cream cheese glaze makes it feel like a dessert! You’ll find yourself cutting off slices for snacks and dessert, not just for breakfast. This baked oatmeal recipe is kid-approved by my boys, and I think it’s perfect for springtime and especially Easter.
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal Ingredients
This list might look long, but most of the ingredients are items you already have in your pantry! I always have these items on hand and it’s a good thing because the boys are always begging for carrot cake baked oatmeal.
- Old fashioned oats (can use gluten-free oats)
- Grated carrots
- Shredded coconut (you can use sweetened or unsweetened)
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Spices: cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, salt
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any milk you like!)
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Optional add-ins: raisins, pecans, or walnuts
And make sure you don’t skip the maple cream cheese glaze, it is a MUST! It really makes the baked oatmeal taste like carrot cake. For the glaze, you will need the following ingredients.
- Cream cheese
- Pure maple syrup
How to Make Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
Baked oatmeal is really so easy to make! Let’s do it!
- Start with your oven at 350 and a greased 8×8 pan. Set the pan aside while you make the baked oatmeal batter.
- In a large bowl, mix the following: oats, grated carrots, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl whisk the wet ingredients! That’s the milk, the butter, an egg, and vanilla. Pour this over the oat mixture and stir until everything is combined. Fold in the raisins and nuts, if you’re using them.
- Pour the finished batter into the greased 8×8 pan and bake it for 40 minutes. The top is going to turn a gorgeous golden color and the oatmeal will be completely set in the middle!
Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
While the oatmeal is baking, make the maple cream cheese glaze. Make sure you use softened cream cheese so it’s easy to mix.
Use a spatula to combine the cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla. Once things are combined switch to a whisk and whisk until it’s totally smooth.
When the oatmeal is done baking, let it cool for about 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve with a drizzle of the cream cheese glaze! YUM!
Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cups
If you want to make the baked oatmeal in muffin cups instead of a pan, just shorten the baking time. Check on them after about 20 minutes and pull them out when they’re golden brown! This is a great way to freeze Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal or have it as an extra-portable option on the go.
Need to Make it Vegan?
A few quick substitutions can turn this into a vegan Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal!
- Use melted coconut oil instead of butter.
- Make a flax egg with 1 tablespoon of ground flax and 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes before adding it into the recipe as an egg replacement.
- For the cream cheese glaze, use a vegan cream cheese substitute and make as directed!
How to Store
Store the baked oatmeal in a sealed airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can also freeze the baked oatmeal! Once cooled and cut into bars, put it into a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave. Glaze the oatmeal after reheating.
More Baked Oatmeal Recipes:
- Baked Peanut Butter Apple Oatmeal
- Banana Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Baked Peach Almond Oatmeal
- Blueberry Maple Baked Oatmeal
- Zucchini Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
For the baked oatmeal:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup grated carrots (2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or milk of your choice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins, optional
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
For the maple cream cheese glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, grated carrots, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in the raisins, if using.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the raisins and nuts, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and oatmeal is set.
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese maple glaze. In a small bowl, use a spatula to combine the cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla. Once combined, switch to a whisk and whisk until smooth.
- Let the oatmeal cool for 5 minutes. Cut the baked oatmeal into squares and serve with a drizzle of maple cream cheese glaze.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Molly