This Easy Butternut Squash Soup is perfect for a simple, healthy, and delicious fall meal! It is great for lunch, dinner, or for Thanksgiving.
Comfort food is a must during the chilly fall and winter months, but a lot of comfort food can be a little too comforting, if you know what I mean. Our family loves making chicken pot pie, lasagna, chicken and dumplings, and spaghetti and meatballs, but we also love lighter comfort food like this Easy Butternut Squash Soup.
When this healthy soup is on the menu, it is always a good day at our house. We all love this comforting soup! And the best part? It is made in the Instant Pot so it can be made in no time!
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
This butternut squash soup recipe is beyond easy because it is made in the Instant Pot. You guys have been asking for more Instant Pot recipes and you are going to LOVE this one because it is super simple. The Instant Pot cooks the butternut squash in no time. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you might want to consider getting one. It is a lifesaver for making quick and easy recipes, like this soup!
You can sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic right in the Instant Pot. Next, you add in the chopped butternut squash (pro tip, you can buy pre-cut butternut squash at the store to save even more time), vegetable broth, apple, cinnamon, herbs, salt, and pepper. Put the lid on and let the Instant Pot work it’s magic! It’s that easy!
When the soup is done cooking, I like to puree the soup right in the Instant Pot with an immersion blender. We use our immersion blender all of the time, especially for soups! It is one of my favorite kitchen appliances.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool for a bit and transfer to a regular blender to blend.
Stove Top or Slow Cooker
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this soup on the stove top in a large pot or in the slow cooker.
For the stove top, in a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and cook the veggies until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, butternut squash, apple, nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, if using.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the butternut squash is soft. Puree the soup in the pot, using an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree.
For the slow cooker, add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and on high for 3 to 4 hours. Blend with an immersion blender or blender.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
This soup is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free, but you will never know it because it is SO creamy and delicious. There is no cream or butter in this soup, the butternut squash is thick and creamy on it’s own!
A bowl of this soup will warm you up and fill you up! The tart green apple adds a nice balance to the sweet butternut squash. The fresh thyme, rosemary, cinnamon, and pinch of nutmeg give the soup lots of flavor.
The soup is good plain, but it is always fun to add toppings, especially if you are serving to guests. It makes the soup feel more fancy:)
You can garnish the bowls of soup with:
- Fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, parsley, or thyme)
- Pepitas or chopped candied pecans or walnuts
- Homemade croutons
- Roasted chickpeas
- A drizzle of heavy cream or coconut milk
- Chopped crispy pancetta or bacon
This easy butternut squash soup is great for lunch or dinner. It always hits the spot!
The following dishes also go great with a warm, satisfying bowl of butternut squash soup.
- Easy Cornbread
- Kale and Wild Rice Salad
- Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Apple Walnut Quinoa Salad
- Parker House Rolls
How to Store
Let the soup cool to room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
The soup also freezes beautifully. Pour the cooled soup into a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup with Maple Roasted Chickpeas
- Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 lbs peeled chopped butternut squash (about 1 medium sized squash)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg, optional
- On your Instant Pot, select Sauté. Add the olive oil and sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, butternut squash, apple, nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, if using.
- Place the lid securely on the Instant Pot and move the knob to seal. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and do a quick release of the pressure.
- Use an Immersion blender in the Instant Pot to puree the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool a little and carefully transfer the soup to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod