Extra marshmallows, sea salt, and a super-thick bar make for the BEST Rice Krispie Treats. You will love these easy, no-bake treats, they are always a crowd pleaser!
When it comes to no-bake treats, Rice Krispie Treats are king. They’re a universal favorite and I promise you that this is the BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe out there. Josh is VERY picky when it comes to Rice Krispie Treats and he has perfected the classic recipe to be even BETTER!
So what makes these the BEST Rice Krispie Treats?
- The first thing you’ll notice about these perfect Rice Krispie Treats is that they are loaded with marshmallows! We stir in mini marshmallows on top of the melted ones for little pockets of marshmallow perfection throughout the bars.
- We also add a little vanilla and sea salt. These two flavors really brings something special!
- We also make THICK Rice Krispie Treats, nobody wants a wimpy square:) The treats are crispy, gooey, buttery, chewy, and oh so delicious!
Keep reading for my recipe that makes the classic favorite an ULTIMATE treat. You’ll never make them the old way again!
Table of Contents
You Only Need 5 Ingredients
This recipe is SUPER easy, you only need five ingredients!
- Butter– You need 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- Marshmallows– We use mini marshmallows because they melt faster than large marshmallows. Plus, we stir in two cups of additional mini marshmallows to make the treats super gooey! For this recipe, you will need a 16 ounce bag, PLUS 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Vanilla extract– Optional, but SO good!
- Sea salt– The hint of sea salt is incredible!
- Crispy rice cereal– You can find Rice Krispies Cereal (or generic crispy rice cereal) at any grocery store in the cereal aisle.
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats
The process is straightforward and so fun for kiddos to help with! Follow our tips and tricks and you will have the BEST Rice Krispie Treats EVER!
- Grease your pan and set it aside. We use an 8×8-inch pan for THICK bars. I highly recommend you try it. If you want a more traditional bar, you can use a 9×13 size pan.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the 16 oz bag of marshmallows (remember to have an additional 2 cups set aside!) and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Don’t over cook or the marshmallows will get hard.
- Pull the pan off the heat and stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Here’s where it’s going to get a little messy, but super fun! Add the cereal and gently stir until it’s all totally coated with melty marshmallows. Now, stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Use a spatula to transfer the mixture to your prepared pan. Press the mixture into the pan using a greased spatula (or spray your clean hands with nonstick spray and really get in there!). If you use an 8×8 pan, the mixture is going to fill the pan to the top. That’s okay!
- Don’t press too hard and PACK the treats into the pan. We don’t want them to be hard.
- Let the Rice Krispie Treats sit on the counter and cool completely before cutting, about 1 hour.
- ALWAYS scoop out the extra marshmallow goo and crispy cereal from the pan for a preview bite or two! That is the best part:)
How to Store
You can keep these bars in an airtight container (or in the pan covered tightly with plastic wrap) for up to 3 days. Do not refrigerate the treats. Refrigerating will dry them out and make them too hard and brittle.
We love classic crispy rice treats, but if you want to mix things up, here are a few fun variations!
- Feeling Fruity? Replace half of the crispy rice cereal with Fruity Pebbles cereal.
- Craving Chocolate? Use Cocoa Crispies cereal instead of crispy rice cereal.
- Brown Butter– Brown the butter for a slightly nutty flavor.
- Sprinkles– Stir in colorful sprinkles for a pop of color and fun!
- Cookies and Cream-Stir in crushed Oreos and drizzle the treats with white chocolate.
More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- Brown Butter Biscoff Rice Krispie Treats
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- White Chocolate Peppermint Pretzel Cookies
More No Bake Dessert Recipes
- Classic No Bake Cookies
- Puppy Chow
- Oreo Balls
- Rolo Pretzels
- S’mores Puppy Chow
- Crunchy No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounce bag mini marshmallows, plus 2 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 8 cups crispy rice cereal
- For super thick Rice Krispie Treats, our favorite, grease an 8×8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. For regular Rice Krispie Treats, grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set pan aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the 16 oz bag of marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Don't over cook or the marshmallows will get hard.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla (if using) and the sea salt. Add the cereal and gently stir until the cereal is well coated with the marshmallows. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Lightly press the mixture into the pan, using a greased spatula. You can also lightly grease your hands and press the mixture into the pan. If you are using an 8×8-inch pan the mixture will completely fill the pan and that is ok.
- Let the Rice Krispie Treats cool before cutting, about 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap or put the treats in an airtight container and store on the counter for up to 3 days.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod