This easy slow Cooker BBQ chicken is the perfect meal for busy weeknight dinners or easy entertaining. And the best part? You only need 3 ingredients!
Are you ready for an EASY crockpot recipe? This Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is one of my family’s favorite meals. We make it all of the time for parties, potlucks, game day, or for an easy weeknight meal.
I combine the THREE ingredients in the slow cooker and set it and forget it. I love it when the slow cooker makes US dinner. It’s amazing. And yes, you read that right, you only need THREE ingredients!
You are going to love this BBQ Chicken Recipe! It is a guaranteed favorite meal with adults and kids!
How to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
You are going to love this recipe because it is SO easy. You only need 3 ingredients: chicken, onion, and BBQ sauce.
- We highly recommend using Josh’s homemade BBQ sauce for this recipe, don’t worry, it is easy to make. You probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen right now. If you don’t want to make homemade BBQ sauce, you can use your favorite store bought BBQ sauce to make this crockpot BBQ chicken.
- Place the chicken, chopped onion, and BBQ sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. This is a great set it and forget it recipe!
- When the chicken is done cooking, remove the chicken from the crockpot and place it on a large cutting board or platter. To make the pulled chicken, shred the chicken with two forks. Place the BBQ chicken back in the slow cooker and stir to make sure it gets coated in all of the sweet and tangy BBQ sauce.
- That is it! SO easy!!
How to Serve BBQ Chicken
Josh likes to serve the shredded and juicy BBQ chicken in buns or slider rolls with cabbage or slaw. He also likes to add pineapple slices and pickled jalapeño slices. He says you have to try it this way, he was inspired by his favorite BBQ chicken pizza. 🙂
You can also use this BBQ chicken to make tacos, salads, pizza, wraps, quesadillas, or serve it over rice. It is a great easy weeknight meal, the crockpot does all of the work. It is also a great recipe for feeding a crowd. It’s always a hit at parties and for game days!
What Sides Go With BBQ Chicken?
We love serving a few delicious sides to go with the BBQ chicken sandwiches. Here are a few of our favorites!
- Easy Cornbread
- Potato Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Black Bean Salad
- Easy Green Salad
- Baked Beans
- Chips and Salsa
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Fruit Salad
How to Store
Let the BBQ chicken cool to room temperature and then put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The leftovers are amazing! You can reheat on warm in the crockpot!
The BBQ chicken does freeze well if you don’t use it all up. Put the cooled pulled chicken in a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost, reheat, and enjoy! You can add a little extra BBQ sauce, if necessary.
More Chicken Recipes
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups homemade BBQ sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
- Buns or rolls and cabbage or slaw, for serving
- Place chicken, onion, and BBQ sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on a large cutting board or platter. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Place the shredded chicken back in the slow cooker and stir until chicken is well coated in the sauce.
- Serve the BBQ chicken in buns or rolls with cabbage or slaw, if desired. You can also use the BBQ chicken to make pizza, quesadillas, salads, tacos, and more!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
3 ingredients?! Say whaaaat!!
Can you make this in an instant pot?
I was wondering this as well. Could this be made using the slow cooker setting of an instant pot?
Hi Sarah! Did you make this in your pressure cooker? If so how long would you cook the chicken?
I’m going to make this tonight and will report back! Sounds too good to be delicious!
Thank you so much for the wonderful BBQ sauce that is made from scratch….my husband is on a very sodium restricted diet. This sauce is PERFECT. I do have a question and think I know the answer already because I see you can freeze leftover BBQ chicken for about a month, but was wondering if the BBQ sauce can also be frozen. I honestly do not use my crock pot to it’s potential, but have to say, when I use it, the results are wonderful. I have a pulled pork recipe I make in the crockpot , and love Marcella Hazen’s spaghetti sauce made in the crockpot. I am looking forward to making your minestrone soup, the BBQ chicken and the marinara sauce you posted here as soon as possible. Thank you.
Yes, you can freeze the sauce too! So glad you liked it!
How will this work with boneless skinless chicken thighs?
Hi Maria! Can you please tell me how many this will serve? Thanks
At the top of the page it says 10 servings
I have this cooking as I type this. I’m a recent widow (one month) and plan to eat it once more this week and freeze in serving size portions.
This is my go-to BBQ chicken sandwich recipe for big family get-togethers. Love the homemade bbq sauce — I always get a lot of compliments! 🙂
Made this using KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce – so delish! A hit all around. We used it for Maria’s BBQ Chicken Pita Pizzas tonight and will be enjoying some of the leftover chicken as sandwiches later this week.