Recipe for Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

Recipe for Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

I love testing out different recipes. I think Joshua gets sick of it though. He is always begging to make some of his favorite recipes that we have made in the past, but I usually shoot him down because I want to try something new. So we rarely eat the same thing twice. If we do it is at least a month later.

I love homemade biscuits and have been testing out different recipes. So far we have posted two of our favorite recipes, one from Pinch My Salt and one from Hell’s Backbone Grill. They are both really good, just different.

Well, we tried another new recipe and we loved this one as well. This one came from Cooks Illustrated. It is a drop buttermilk biscuit, so it was super easy to make. The texture was a little more “hearty” than soft and flaky. The biscuits were also a little “thicker” than the others. They were VERY good! I loved the added texture that came with this biscuits and the rustic feel. I enjoyed mine with a drizzle of warm honey.

If you are a biscuit lover, give all of these a try. We love them all. I might have to do a blind taste test to find out my favorite. They are all so tasty!

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated

(Printable Recipe)

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup cold buttermilk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (about 5 minutes), plus 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing biscuits

Procedure

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475°F. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Combine buttermilk and 8 tablespoons melted butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter forms small clumps.

2. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. Using greased 1/4-cup dry measure, scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet (biscuits should measure about 2 1/4 inches in diameter and 1 1/4 inches high). Repeat with remaining batter, spacing biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.

3. Brush biscuit tops with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.

80 Responses to “Recipe for Buttermilk Drop Biscuits”

Live.Love.Eat — March 21, 2009 @ 8:43 am

I love biscuits but I am scared of them. I can eat too many and they go right to my hips. Thanks for the answer on the book, I will do that this weekend!

And I am like you, I love to keep making new things and I let out a groan when hubs wants something I have already made. Hah, poor boys.

Jeena — March 21, 2009 @ 9:43 am

They look delicous! Very similar to what we call scones in the UK.

Kerstin — March 21, 2009 @ 11:31 am

I love drop biscuits and these look fabulous, especially with the honey on top!

Jamie — March 21, 2009 @ 12:37 pm

These look delicious, love the honey drizzle!!!

Kevin — March 21, 2009 @ 12:45 pm

Those biscuits dripping in honey look really good!

Bridgett — March 21, 2009 @ 3:01 pm

Ha ha, I am like you in wanting to continue to try new recipes, but I do crave some of the tried and true now and again. I know hubby sure does as well. These biscuits would easily become a favorite. They look wonderful!

Debbie — March 21, 2009 @ 5:17 pm

The biscuits look great. My husband adores biscuits with honey and he would thrilled to have these!

Pearl — March 21, 2009 @ 5:51 pm

my goodness- your biscuits look flawless. wow. now i want to bake some biscuits for my family :D

what a lucky hubby!

teresa — March 21, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

These look very tasty, my hubby LOVES his biscuits, I should definitely make these for him. I know what you mean about never making the same thing. I rarely make the same thing twice, there are too many things to try out there!

The Food Librarian — March 21, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

These look fantastic and so easy with the drop technique! Another winning recipe.

The Short (dis)Order Cook — March 22, 2009 @ 4:44 am

YOu guys are just like me and Sir Pickypants. I’m always looking for novelty and he would just like something tried and true and simple.

I love making drop bisuits because they are way less intimidating than rolled. I’m always afraid of overworking rolled biscuits. Drop biscuits give you a lot more room for error. Maybe the consistency isn’t quite the same, but that’s okay. They still taste good.

CookiePie — March 22, 2009 @ 6:33 am

Yummy biscuits! They look fantastic!!

Cakebrain — March 22, 2009 @ 8:17 am

Hey! I was just thinking about this CI recipe! I love biscuits but haven’t made them in a while. They have another cut biscuit that uses a different technique that I love. The CI magazine that I recently bought has this drop biscuit recipe and so many others I want to try! Your biscuits look fantastic!

Meghan — March 22, 2009 @ 10:30 am

These biscuits look delicious – especially the first picture with the honey drizzled on top! I love that they are quick to make also.

Grace — March 22, 2009 @ 11:14 am

oh, the rusticity of it all. (i think i just made a new word.) great biscuits–the perfect vehicle for jelly, honey, what-have-you.

ttfn300 — March 22, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

is that a honey drizzle? DIVINE :)

Tina — March 22, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

What a great blog! I love all of your delicious recipes! Thanks for stopping by CNC! :)

Ingrid — March 22, 2009 @ 7:08 pm

MMMMM, those two pictures of the biscuit with honey dripping down are droolicious!
    ~ingrid

Katrina — March 22, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

These look tasty!

Peter M — March 23, 2009 @ 8:50 am

After that finishing touch, these do indeed look yummy!

Jan — March 23, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

I know what you mean, my hubby like to have his old faves as well as try the newcomers.

These biscuits look lovely.

Girl Japan — March 24, 2009 @ 2:49 am

You sure stepped Buttermilk biscuits up to a whole new level, eh? You are doing such fabulous work in the kitchen darling, you really are talented.

Bellini Valli — March 24, 2009 @ 3:17 am

Biscuits are a food category all of their own. Thanks for this recipe to try:D

Jim Light — March 24, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

We were lucky enough to have Jen and Blake from Hell’s Backbone Grill prepare their biscuits in our kitchen at Kimball. They are a true favorite!
    Since we have unused buttermilk in the fridge, I may make a batch as a treat before teaching my class this evening.

Audrey — March 24, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

I was going to say that I’d seen this recipe and wanted to try it…but I was distracted by those banana cupcakes. I love Nutella!

Spryte — March 24, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

mmmmmmm

Colleen — March 25, 2009 @ 8:55 am

These look great. I love buttermilk biscuits and these look fairly easy to make!

eatme_delicious — March 31, 2009 @ 7:22 am

Mmmm I love biscuits. I’ll have to save these 3 recipes. ;) And I love that these ones are drop biscuits. I hate when you have to try and roll out the dough because I’m paranoid about overworking it.

Michelle N — November 4, 2009 @ 10:46 pm

Yumm! They look delicious, I must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

30. Pingback: Cheddar Cheese Biscuits with Cilantro

Tavia — June 24, 2010 @ 6:41 am

I just tried this recipe last night and it was wonderful. Easy and tasty! Thank you for sharing.

• twopeas replied: — June 24th, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Yea! Glad you enjoyed the biscuits.

32. Pingback: Bacon Cheddar Drop Biscuits | Biscuit Recipe | Two Peas and Their Pod

33. Pingback: Cinnamon Biscuit Recipe | Gooey Cinnamon Biscuits | Two Peas & Their Pod

34. Pingback: Corn Chowder Recipe | Vegetarian Corn Chowder | Two Peas & Their Pod

Jamie (Thrifty Veggie Mama) — November 3, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

Trying these tonight with the corn chowder (veganized!). My husband always asks why we can’t have meals more than once too. Truth of the matter is I usually forget which ones he really liked! I need to start making a list!

Johanna — May 7, 2012 @ 8:47 am

I don’t know if I already wrote a comment on this recipe?? If yes, the result is so good I have to do it again!!!
    MY husband served the biscuits with his chili yesterday, was the 2nd time we made this recipe, and they were even better than the first time. This recipe is a winner!!! Thanks a lot! :)

Dawn — October 21, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making biscuits but have been afraid to try. This recipe was extremely easy and the results were spectacular! Not one biscuit was left. Thanks for posting.

Lauren — November 16, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

These were so good and so easy. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks!

Lauren — March 22, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Thanks for this recipe. These are so great! And so easy!:)