Warm up with a bowl of Chicken Fajita Soup loaded with your favorite toppings. All of your favorite fajita flavors are combined in an easy and comforting soup that’s perfect for weeknights or easy entertaining.
Some chilly days just demand a bowl of soup! Luckily, one of my family’s favorite soup recipes is also one of the quickest to pull together. Chicken Fajita Soup has simple, nutritious ingredients and filling chicken and black beans to warm and comfort everyone at the end of the day! If you like fajitas, you will LOVE this soup!
Easy Chicken Soup
This is a really simple soup recipe, because we use shredded rotisserie chicken. You can also use leftover cooked chicken or even leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Turkey works well too!
If you want to prep ahead, you certainly can! Chop the onions and bell pepper ahead of time and even measure out the spices into a ramekin to save you some time while cooking in the evening.
The soup is full of flavor and makes a great weeknight meal. You can also make a big pot to serve to friends and family. We love making this soup when we have company because it is easy to make, everyone loves it, and the toppings are so fun!
You can also make this Chicken Fajita Soup in a slow cooker! Just put everything in a couple hours ahead of time and cook it on low until it’s heated through.
Vegetarian Fajita Soup
If you want to make the soup vegetarian, just omit the chicken, add another can of black beans, and choose vegetable broth instead of chicken. It is just as hearty and flavorful. We like both versions!
The soup will also be vegan if you don’t add any sour cream or cheese!
The fun is in the toppings with a soup like this! I love to have lots of options out on the table so everyone can make their bowl of soup just right. Some of our favorites:
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese (cheddar or pepper jack!)
- Avocado slices
I like to keep sides simple for soup night! Here are a few ideas if you want to serve a few side dishes with the soup!
- Easy Cornbread
- Chips & The Best Guacamole & Salsa
- Best Bean Dip
- Easy Green Salad
- Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
How to Store
Store your leftover soup in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
The soup can be frozen in a sealed freezer-safe container for up to three months. Defrost whenever you’re in the mood for delicious, savory soup!
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
More Fajita Recipes
Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- For garnish: sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, and tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, black beans, broth, and shredded chicken. Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cilantro.
- Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm with desired toppings.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health