Glazed Lemon Cookies- soft, buttery lemon cookies with a simple lemon glaze. These sweet and tart cookies are light, refreshing, and the perfect treat for any occasion.
Lemon lovers get ready to jump for joy because these Glazed Lemon Cookies are DREAMY! I make these cookies all the time during the spring and summer months. They’re soft and buttery with a hint of lemon and a sweet, tart glaze.
These cookies are always a crowd pleaser. They make a great dessert for parties, potlucks, bridal showers, baby showers, or any occasion.
Our family makes them just because they are super delicious. Every day is a good day for lemon cookies! They make every day brighter!
You only need a lemon and some basic cookie ingredients to make these bright and cheery cookies. You should have most of these ingredients in your pantry!
- All-purpose flour– fluff, spoon, and level your flour. Never pack flour or you will end up with dry cookies.
- Baking powder– check the date to make sure it is fresh!
- Salt– a must in all cookies!
- Granulated sugar– for sweetness!
- Lemon zest– Wash and zest your lemon with a microplane.
- Unsalted butter– I use unsalted butter so I can control the salt in the recipe.
- Egg– Use a large egg, preferably at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract– I always use pure vanilla extract. The good stuff!
- Confectioner’s sugar– Also known as powdered sugar and what we need to make the glaze!
- Lemon juice– Use fresh lemon juice, not the bottled stuff! Juice the lemon you zested!
How to Make Glazed Lemon Cookies
Let’s get baking!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat. Set aside.
- Whisk your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a small bowl until it’s nice and fluffed. Set aside for later!
- In another small bowl, add the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub them together with your fingers until it’s all incorporated and fragrant. Rubbing together the sugar and lemon zest really maximizes the lemon flavor. Don’t skip this step!
- Beat the butter together with the sugar and lemon mixture until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla extract, then continue beating until everything is smooth.
- Put the mixer on a low speed and slowly beat in the dry ingredients until everything is blended. Don’t over mix! Once the dough forms, turn off the mixer.
- Drop the dough in one-tablespoon scoops onto the baking sheets. Space them 2 inches apart and gently flatten the dough with the palm of your hand or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly golden brown. Don’t over bake. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them onto a cooling rack.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice together until it’s smooth. Dip each cookie top into the glaze and let the cookies sit until the glaze is set.
How to Store
Once the glaze is set, you can store the cookies in an airtight container for up to four days on the counter. If you are going to stack the cookies, make sure you put a piece of parchment paper or wax paper in between the layers so the cookies don’t stick together.
If you live in a hot and humid location, you might want to store the cookies in the refrigerator, so the glaze stays set.
You can freeze the cookies. Place the cooled cookies in a freezer-safe container or bag. If you are stacking the cookies, make sure you put a piece of parchment paper or wax paper between the layers. Freeze the cookies for up to 3 months.
Freezing is great if you have an event coming up and you want to get ahead on baking. And let’s be real, having cookies in the freezer is ALWAYS a good idea
More Lemon Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread
- Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting
Glazed Lemon Cookies
Glazed Lemon Cookies-soft, buttery lemon cookies with a simple lemon glaze. These sweet and tart cookies are light, refreshing, and the perfect treat for any occasion.
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 12 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
For the Cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
- Beat butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let cookies sit until icing has set.
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.