Summertime and the livin’s easy! Ok, not every day is easy. I wish I could sit by the pool and sip lemonade all summer long, but there is that little thing called work. And oh yeah, I have a 9 month old who won’t sit still. So I may not be relaxing by the pool this summer, but I am finding time to enjoy the little joys of summer.
One of those joys for me is simple summer cooking. Fresh summer produce is at it’s peak and I can’t get enough. I love creating meals with the produce we find at our local farmers market. My new favorite salad is this Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Sweet Corn and Avocado.
Zucchini tends to take over the world during the summer months. I don’t mind because I love it. You can always drop zucchini off at our doorstep. I will accept it with a smile:)
I am always coming up with new ways to use zucchini. I’ve made zucchini brownies, fries, cupcakes, salads, bread, and of course cookies. This Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Sweet Corn and Avocado is my latest zucchini creation and it is a winner! I hope we never run out of zucchini because I want to make and eat this salad all summer long.
This salad may look fancy, but I promise it is easy to make. You don’t need a fancy kitchen gadget to create the slender zucchini ribbons. All you need is a vegetable peeler. I know you all have one! Cutting the zucchini and yellow squash into thin lengthwise ribbons creates an elegant presentation. This salad is so pretty to serve. Your family and friends will be impressed when you put this salad on the table for dinner.
To the squash ribbons, I added sweet corn, red onion, cilantro, avocado slices, and a light lime dressing. I topped the salad off with queso fresco, a fresh Mexican cheese. I love everything about this salad-the flavors, textures, taste, and appearance.
If you are looking for a new way to use your summer zucchini, you have to try this Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Sweet Corn and Avocado. It is summer perfection! Don’t worry if you can’t lounge by the pool every day. There are many things to appreciate during the summer months and this salad is one of them. This salad certainly brightens my summer days!
Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Sweet Corn & Avocado
Ribbons of zucchini and yellow squash with sweet corn, avocado, cilantro, queso fresco, and a light lime dressing. This elegant salad is simple to make and a great way to use up the summer zucchini.
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 2 ears cooked sweet corn
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 2 medium ripe avocados peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup queso fresco Mexican cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil and lime juice together. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 2. Trim the ends of the zucchini and yellow squash. With a vegetable peeler, shave lengthwise into long, wide strips about 1/16 inch thick. When you get to the center of the zucchini, turn the squash over and slice from the other side until you get to the center again.
- 3. Put the zucchini and yellow squash ribbons in a large bowl. Cut the sweet corn kernels off of the cob, cutting close to the cob. Discard cobs. Add sweet corn, cilantro, red onion, and avocado slices to the squash ribbons. Pour olive oil and lime dressing over salad and toss until coated.
- 4. Crumble queso fresco over the top of the salad and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Note-you can find queso fresco at most grocery stores. I like to buy it at our local Mexican market. If you can't find it, use feta cheese.
If you like this Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Sweet Corn & Avocado, you might also like: