Fire up your oven and get the toppings ready…it’s pizza night! This Ultimate Veggie Pizza has the tastiest combination of vegetables for the freshest flavor and my favorite pizza EVER.
Do you do a weekly pizza night? I feel like every week needs pizza. We always look forward to homemade pizza night. It’s so much fun and SO delicious.
We usually do “build your own pizza” so everyone is happy and this Veggie Pizza is my favorite. I love loading on sauce, cheese, and a variety of veggies. Bring on the veggies!
If you like vegetable pizza, you have to try this one, it’s the BEST! The flavors are SO good and because there are so many veggies involved you can eat as many pieces as you want.
Pizza Dough & Pizza Sauce
Before we get to the toppings, let’s talk pizza dough and pizza sauce.
We love making our easy pizza dough but if you don’t have time you can use store bought dough. Most grocery stores make fresh pizza dough. You will need 1 pound of dough for this recipe.
For the sauce, I highly recommend making our easy pizza sauce. It is titled EASY for a reason, it is so simple and tastes SO much better than store bought. It freezes well, so feel free to make a double batch and put some in the freezer for later. Defrost and you will be good to go!
Veggie Pizza Toppings
I have made and eaten a lot of veggie pizzas in my life and this combo is my favorite. I use:
- Artichoke hearts
- Roasted red peppers
- Red onion
- Black olives
Of course, you can use any veggies. Use your favorite or what you have on hand. Some other ideas include: zucchini or yellow squash, bell peppers, corn, broccoli, tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes, eggplant, greens (spinach, kale, or arugula).
And I always finish my pizza with fresh basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and a little Parmesan cheese. You could also add a little drizzle of balsamic glaze. YUM!
How to Make Veggie Pizza
I have a few tips for making your pizza turn out perfectly every time! We love a pizza night at home and if I’m being honest…I think ours turns out better than the pies we buy at a restaurant. Here’s how to do it!
- Cook your pizza at a high temperature. I recommend 500 degrees F. We also love our pizza oven because it gets up to 750 degrees F, but a regular oven will work, just crank it up!
- Preheat your pizza stone so it is nice and hot. If you don’t have a pizza stone, use a pizza pan or a baking sheet, just keep in mind it will take a little longer to bake.
- Have all of your toppings out and ready to go before you start making the pizza.
- We use a pizza peel (that’s the tool with a long handle that kind of looks like a shovel used to move pizza in and out of the oven!). If you don’t have one, the back of a baking sheet works really well.
- Use gentle presses to push half of your dough into a circle until it’s 10-12” wide. Don’t overstretch your dough! You can make one big pizza, just make sure your stone or pan is wide enough.
- Don’t put too many toppings on your pizza or the dough will get soggy and it will be hard to transfer to the pizza stone.
- Move quickly once your pizza is covered in toppings! If you wait too long it will get harder to slide onto your pizza stone.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden!
- Slice and enjoy warm!
Pizza night is everyone’s favorite, so you don’t need a lot of sides to ensure dinnertime success! But if you want to serve a few dishes on the side, here are some of our favorites.
- Garlic Knots
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- Summer Arugula Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Easy Green Salad
How to Store and Reheat Pizza
Store leftover pizza in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze the pizza for up to 3 months.
Let’s be honest: microwaving leftover pizza is okay…but it’s also kind of soggy! We love reheating pizza in the air fryer for a crispier crust and perfectly melted cheese. You could also use a toaster oven or heat it up on the stovetop in a pan if you like a crisped crust!
And I won’t tell if you eat leftover cold pizza for breakfast, that’s good too:)
More Pizza Recipes
- Spinach Artichoke Pesto Pizza
- Caprese Pizza
- Sweet Potato Kale Pizza
- Easy French Bread Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
- BBQ Chicken French Bread Pizza
Ultimate Veggie Pizza
- 1- pound pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup jarred or canned artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Garnish: Fresh basil leaves, crushed red pepper flakes, and finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 500°F. Do this 30 minutes prior to cooking the pizza.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil to medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown. About one minute before the mushrooms are done, stir in the garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make sure all of your other toppings are ready to go before you start making the pizza.
- Sprinkle a pizza peel lightly with flour and set aside. If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use the back of a rimmed baking sheet or a rimless baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface, start with one dough ball and use your fingers to gently press the dough into a circle. Gently stretch the dough into a 10 to 12-inch circle, being careful to not over stretch the dough.
- Spread the pizza with half of the pizza sauce, leaving a 1-inch border without sauce. Sprinkle the pizza evenly with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with half of the toppings: cooked mushrooms, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, red onion, and olives.
- Once you have the toppings on the pizza dough, you need to move quickly so the pizza is easy to transfer to the oven.
- Use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the hot pizza stone. Bake until the cheese is melted, and the crust is golden brown, about 8 to 15 minutes.
- When the first pizza is almost done baking, make the second pizza, following the same steps. When you remove the first pizza from the oven, transfer the second pizza to the oven and bake.
- Garnish the pizzas with fresh basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and Parmesan cheese, if desired. Slice and serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Olive and Mango