Roasted Chickpea Fajitas make a regular appearance on our dinner menu. Josh loves them, but asked if he could switch fajita night up by making Chicken Fajita Soup. Of course, I said yes. Anytime my man wants to cook, I let him:) And don’t worry, Josh served me up a bowl of hot soup before adding the chicken. So if you want a vegetarian Fajita Soup, just don’t add the chicken. It is great both ways. We like to make our recipes adaptable so everyone can enjoy them!
If you like fajitas you will enjoy this soup. It has all of the same flavors and ingredients as fajitas, but in soup form. The soup is loaded with bell peppers, onions, jalapeño, diced tomatoes, black beans, cilantro, lime, and spices. Josh grilled up a two chicken breasts and cut them into thin strips and added the chicken to the soup at the very end. So if you want a veggie soup, just leave out the chicken. He reserved some of the soup for me before he added the chicken-he takes good care of me:)
This Chicken Fajita Soup is easy to make, tastes just as good the next day, and it freezes well. It’s a winning soup all around! Plus, you can add all sorts of toppings to this soup-avocado, tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, lime, diced tomatoes, etc. Go crazy and add whatever toppings you like. If you are looking for a new and tasty soup recipe to try, make this Chicken Fajita Soup. It’s a good one…with or without the chicken:)
Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ jalapeño minced
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 small green red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper cut into strips
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15 ounce cans vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips
- 1. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and put on grill. Grill, turning chicken breasts until cooked through, about about 10 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove chicken from the grill and let cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- 2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeño, and bell peppers. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, black beans, and broth. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let soup simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken strips. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm with garnishes, if desired.
- Note-if you want a Vegetarian Fajita Soup, just omit the chicken. This soup can also be made in the slow cooker.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Chicken Fajita Soup, you might also like: