Chicken Tortilla Soup- this Mexican inspired soup is perfectly spiced, satisfying, and made in ONE pot! Top your bowl with crispy tortilla strips and a variety of delicious toppings! This easy chicken soup is always a crowd-pleaser and only takes 30 minutes to make!
If you are looking for an easy soup recipe that everyone will love, make Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is a forever favorite, a classic, a soup that always gets rave reviews! It only takes 30 minutes to make! You can’t go wrong with this one!
Chicken tortilla soup is a Mexican-inspired soup that has a tomato and chicken broth base. It is spiced with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and has a little kick from the jalapeño.
It also has hearty ingredients like beans, corn, and of course the shredded chicken. To freshen things up, we squeeze in a little lime juice and stir in some vibrant cilantro!
And now for the best part, the crispy, salty tortilla strips! The key to a GOOD chicken tortilla soup. They are a MUST and the perfect way to finish the soup.
And of course, you can add other toppings because more is more! We like to load on the toppings!
I have a feeling you are going to make this easy chicken tortilla soup all of the time. It is a great for weeknight dinners, easy entertaining, or game day!
To make the soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Oil– you can use olive oil or avocado oil
- Onion– we use yellow onion, but white or red will work too!
- Red bell pepper– adds great flavor and I love adding extra veggies when I can!
- Jalapeño pepper– I recommend wearing gloves to cut the jalapeño. The oils can burn your skin, and you want to avoid getting any in your eyes! Use a sharp knife to remove the seeds and mince.
- Garlic– 4 cloves, I promise it isn’t too much!
- Chicken broth– use your favorite brand!
- Tomatoes– you will need fire roasted diced tomatoes AND diced tomatoes with green chiles, like Rotel.
- Black beans– rinse and drain before using.
- Shredded chicken– we use rotisserie chicken to keep things easy. If you have leftover cooked chicken, feel free to use it!
- Corn– fresh or frozen!
- Spices– chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika!
- Herbs– dried bay leaf, dried oregano, and fresh cilantro!
- Lime juice– fresh is best!
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, red pepper, and jalapeño. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir and turn the heat to low. Let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and fresh lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Remove the bay leaf.
How to Make Crispy Tortilla Strips
Fresh tortilla strips really make the soup! Sure, you can use store bought tortilla chips, but I highly recommend you fry up some fresh strips. They are the BEST and they only take a few minutes to make. WORTH IT!
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips in small batches and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until lightly browned.
- Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon and place on a plate that has been lined with a paper towel. Season with salt while they are still warm. Set aside.
To serve the soup, ladle into bowls and top with tortilla strips. You can also add other toppings. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Avocado or a dollop of guacamole
- Jalapeño slices
- Green onion
- Lime wedges
Storing Leftover Soup
Store leftover, cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. If you have leftover tortilla strips, store them in a container on the counter.
You can freeze chicken tortilla soup. To freeze, transfer the cooled soup to a freezer container place in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
Find all of our soup recipes HERE!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the Tortilla Strips:
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the tortilla soup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes & green chiles, like Rotel
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, we use rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges
- To make the tortilla strips: In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips in small batches and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until lightly browned. Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon and place on a plate that has been lined with a paper towel. Season with salt while they are still warm. Set aside.
- To make the soup: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, red pepper, and jalapeño. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and fresh lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Remove the bay leaf.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips and desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod