Chipotle Chicken Tacos are full of flavor and perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. They only take 20 minutes to make! Serve with all of your favorite taco toppings and sides!
Our boys could eat tacos for dinner every single night and I honestly don’t blame them. Tacos are the BEST! One of their favorite taco recipes are these Chipotle Chicken Tacos. They are loaded with flavor and only take 20 minutes to make, which makes them the perfect EASY weeknight dinner!
There are two secrets to making these amazing tacos. Use rotisserie chicken and add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a smoky, zesty, and slightly spicy kick.
You are going to love these simple chicken tacos. I bet you will want them for dinner every night too:) Who said tacos are just for Tuesdays?
Chipotle Chicken Taco Ingredients
- Olive oil– for sautéing the onion. Avocado oil is also a good option.
- Onion– use white, yellow, or red!
- Spices– ground cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and dried oregano
- Chicken– to keep things super simple, we use shredded rotisserie chicken. If you have leftover cooked chicken, feel free to use it!
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce– are jalapeño chiles that have been dried, smoked and then packed in a flavorful sauce made of tangy tomatoes and spices. You can find them at most grocery stores. You will need 1 pepper and 2 teaspoons of the sauce. If you are worried about heat, make sure you don’t include the seeds. You can freeze the leftovers. I always keep chipotle in adobo in the freezer.
- Tortillas– you can use corn or flour tortillas.
How to Make Chipotle Chicken Tacos
Let’s get this taco show on the road! You only need 20 minutes from start to finish!
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion until translucent and softened.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, salt, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is well coated in the seasoning. Pour a little water and add the chipotle pepper and chipotle in adobe sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- That’s it! The chicken is good to go!
Assembling the Tacos
Now, it’s time to assemble the tacos!
Spoon the chipotle chicken into to warm tortillas, corn or flour. Top with your favorite tacos toppings. Some of our favorites include:
- shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- shredded lettuce or cabbage
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- guacamole or avocado slices
- pickled red onions
- sliced jalapeños
- diced tomatoes
- radish slices
- salsa, pico de gallo, or mango salsa
- fresh cilantro
Side Dish Suggestions
Serve any of these side dishes with tasty tacos!
- Best Bean Dip
- Queso Dip
- Refried Beans
- Mexican Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Favorite Fruit Salad
- Fresh Corn Salad
More Taco Recipes
Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chipotle pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobe sauce, from the can
- Corn or flour tortillas, for serving
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco, shredded lettuce or cabbage, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, guacamole or avocado slices, pickled red onions, sliced jalapeños, diced tomatoes, radish slices, salsa or pico de gallo, fresh cilantro, lime wedges
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, salt, garlic powder, and oregano. Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is well coated in the seasoning. Pour in the water and add the chipotle pepper and chipotle in adobe sauce. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble the tacos, spoon the chipotle chicken into to warm tortillas (corn or flour). Top with desired toppings. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Olive & Mango
Really good recipe! I didn’t feel like grinding cumin seeds, so I used an adobe chipotle spice blend I purchased from a local spice store instead of the spices in the recipe.
What I liked was the adobo sauce from the chilis (again laziness prevailed so no chopping the peppers only spooning out the sauce)! Added a flavorful, smoky taste
I used chicken thighs instead of rotisserie chicken and it was so delicious! My husband kept telling me how they were the best tacos ever and to keep this recipe and make it when we have guests come over and everyone will be so impressed.