Brown Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake-if you are trying to use up your summer zucchini, you need to make this coffee cake! It is great for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.
It’s zucchini season and that makes me giddy! I LOVE zucchini! I think it is probably my favorite vegetable. Please don’t tell the other vegetables, I don’t want to hurt their feelings:) I go zucchini crazy when it is in season and make everything with zucchini. I put it in pancakes, salads, salsa, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, and I even make noodles and nachos! I can’t get enough!
I am always looking for new ways to enjoy my favorite vegetable and over the weekend, I made this Brown Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake. It is good, like really good. Like so good that you need to stop and make it right now. It turned Caleb into a zucchini lover and that is HUGE! He now thinks zucchini is the best vegetable ever, just like his mama! It is funny what a good piece of cake will do to a kid:)
I mean, how could anyone not like this cake? It is made with brown butter and we all know that brown butter makes the world a better place. Plus, it has a streusel topping AND a glaze! And it is made with zucchini, so you can eat as many pieces of cake as you want because the more veggies in our diet, the better:)
This Brown Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake is great for breakfast, brunch, or dessert! I found myself snacking on it all day long and it tasted good every time. There is no bad time to have a piece of this cake. And it is just as good, if not better the second day. Beware, it might not last until the second day, it is that good! You will want to eat it ALL the second it comes out of the oven.
Shout Hip Hip Hooray for zucchini season because that means Brown Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake! Make it again and again until you have to beg your neighbors to give you more zucchini. Enjoy!
Looking for more zucchini recipes? Check out my round-up of the BEST zucchini recipes!
Brown Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 55 minutes
For the Cake:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into tablespoons
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini don't squeeze out the liquid
For the Brown Butter Streusel Topping:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into tablespoons
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, brown the butter for the cake. Melt the butter over medium-low heat and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Pour butter into a small bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together browned butter, Greek yogurt or sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir. The batter will be very thick and somewhat dry. Add the shredded zucchini and stir until cake is combined and moistened. Again, it will be very thick. Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- To make the streusel topping, brown the butter. Melt the butter over medium-low heat and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Pour butter into a small bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature. In a small bowl, combined browned butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake is light golden brown. Let the cake cool on a wire cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over cooled cake. Cut into squares and serve.
- Note-the cake will keep covered on the counter for 2-3 days.